Last updated on October 17, 2019
Through the Women Techmakers Scholars Programme – formerly the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Programme – Google is furthering Dr. Anita Borg’s vision of creating gender equality in the field of computer science by encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
Anita Borg Scholarship: Dr. Anita Borg devoted her adult life to revolutionising the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields.
She proposed the “50/50 by 2020” initiative, so that women earning computing degrees would be 50% of the graduates by year 2020. However, the percentage of Computer Science degrees earned by women is still far from 50% throughout the world.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, Google is proud to honor Anita’s memory and support women in technology with the Women Techmakers Scholars Program (formerly the Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship).
Through the scholarship, Google aim to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders.
- Application Deadline: 5th December 2019 11:59 pm GMT.
- Offered annually? Yes
- Eligible Countries: Women from Europe, the Middle East and Africa
- To be taken at: Universities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa
- Eligible Subject Areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Bioinformatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Type: Bachelors, Masters, PhD
- Sponsors: Google
Table of Contents
Multiple scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic performance, leadership experience and demonstrated passion for computer science.
Who is qualified to apply? To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Currently be enrolled at an accredited university for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time or part-time student in a Bachelor’s,
- Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, Middle East or Africa for the 2020 2021 academic year
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for increasing the involvement of women in Computer Science
Value of Scholarship:
The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
A retreat opportunity to connect with fellow scholars and Google mentors, while participating in professional and personal development trainings and workshops.
An online network with fellow scholars program participants designed to share resources, support the global community of women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
How to Apply:
The Women Techmakers Scholarship is a one-time scholarship. While past applicants and finalists are encouraged to reapply, unfortunately, past recipients of any Google scholarship, including the Women Techmakers Scholarship and Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, are not eligible to apply.
Complete the online application and submit all requested documents by 5th December 2019. The following application documents must be in English.
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions)
- Current resume
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- One letter of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to five essay questions
If you need more information about the Google Women Techmakers Scholarship Program for Women in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA), then visit their official website here.
- Eni Nigeria 2020 One-Year Post National Diploma Industrial Training Programme
- Ezera Research Fellowship 2020 for African Students
- 2020 Harambe Entrepreneur Alliance Scholarships for Africans
- UNU-EHS Fully-funded Scholarships for Developing Countries
- University of Derby Regional High Achievers Scholarship 2020/2021
- UNICEF Generation Unlimited Youth Challenge 2019/2020
- (MoBreed) Masters & PhD Scholarships for African Students
- Africa Energy Fellowship Program 2020 for Professionals
- Novo Nordisk International Talent Program 2019 – Denmark
- NITDA Postgraduate Scholarships 2019/2020 for Nigerians