The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has for decades been accused of extra-judicial killings, human rights abuses and profiling of impressionable young men who spot dreadlocks, dye their hair a certain hue or tattoo their sun scorched skins.
Now, the force says it is planning to acquire stun guns and revise its rules of engagement in an effort to curb the use of deadly force and clean up its act.
Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, told a gathering of senior officers in the capital, Abuja, that he had “initiated actions” toward deploying less lethal weapons – commonly known as stun guns – for low-risk police operations, Reuters reports.
“This is with the intention of addressing public concerns on misuse of firearms by the police with its attendant consequences on lives and effect on the attainment of our community policing vision,” Adamu was quoted as saying.
The cost of the stun guns wasn’t disclosed.
Revising rules of engagement
Adamu added that the police has also revised and simplified “Force Order 237”, which outlines its rules of engagement.
There were no specifics on what changes were made, however.
Adamu said the redesign, reforms of the force would ensure the “protection of fundamental human rights” in policing.
The Nigerian police is also putting together special training for certain units, including the counter-terrorism unit, anti-robbery and kidnapping squads, and criminal investigation specialists.
A stun gun works electrically. It immobilizes an attacker or suspect momentarily without causing serious injury, by sending an electric shock through the body system.
- NLC Speaks On Issuing Strike Notice
- Just In: Gunmen Injure School Principal, Kill Police Sergeant
- FG Set To Reduce Salaries, Allowances For Governors, Others
- Secret Recruitment: Job Scandal Rocks Nigerian Senate
- Full List Of Documents Required For National ID Card Enrollment
- Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer Sends ‘Strong Message’ To Southeast Governors
- FG, Labour End Minimum Wage Meeting, Fresh Decision Taken
- How Buhari Has Improved Nigeria’s Security Situation – Lai Mohammed
- Rice Smuggling: Court Orders Freezing Of 45 Bank Accounts
- Donald Trump Set To Impose Stiffer Penalties On Turkish Government
- How Aisha Buhari Attacked Us In Aso Rock – Mamman Daura’s Daughter
- Journalist Reveals Dirty Secrets About Nigeria Police
- Its Wrong To Say 8th National Assembly Frustrated President Buhari – Clarke
- 2023: Power Won’t Return To North Until 50 Years – Fani-Kayode
- Budget 2020: Jonathan, IBB, Obasanjo, Others To Share N2.3 Billion
- 2020 Budget: Falana Tells Buhari Govt How To Fund Budget
- Sanusi Speaks On Sacking Aide For Celebrating Ganduje
- Just In: Boko Haram Leader Sends Message To Buhari, Borno Govt
- APC Reacts To Attack On Oshiomhole’s Residence, Tells IGP What To Do
- Why I Left Nigeria For Two Months – Aisha Buhari